Monday, June 15

Hidden pastime

Did you already know that I like to sing? I mean like really, really, really like singing? Alright I love singing for God’s sake! Instead of just listening to a good song, I would sing along because it picks me up. It is also my way of expressing emotions which I fail to show with gestures or words for that matter.

Some people go to great lengths to carry out their passion. Well, I am a scaredy cat. Although I think I have the so-called gift, I dare not share it with others. When I asked Abi if I am a good singer, he said it himself that I am not a singer, but a musician. I was like whoa, that is even better answer than I hoped to get.

However, my brother-in-law has a lot more faith in me than his brother. Maybe because you are a believer like me and your brother is skeptical. You always have these what-if plans that I could do through music. And you followed me to that guitar shop when my husband preferred the book store. Hey bro, now we know who the cool people are, huh? And yeah, okay, you can start driving Blackie next week.

Last two weekends in Singapore, Abi and I went out for dinner. After stuffing ourselves up with a lot of food at Sakura, we noticed there was an open mic event across the street near Raffles City Shopping Centre. It was held in conjunction of the Singapore Arts Festival.

As we were about to pass through, we heard the emcee invited anybody from the crowd to sing with their guitarist because they were giving out tickets to other events. Abi asked if I wanted to try out. I was suddenly nervous and not sure how to react. Oh I hate those feelings. I did not do it, though for I did not have the guts!

On the other hand, I must admire Abi for having such confidence in me that night. I thought he would never ask me to. Next time, maybe?

Hand In My Pocket by Alanis Morissette

I'm broke but I'm happy
I'm poor but I'm kind
I'm short but I'm healthy, yeah

I'm high but I'm grounded
I'm sane but I'm overwhelmed
I'm lost but I'm hopeful, baby

What it all comes down to
Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
'cause I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is giving a high five

I feel drunk but I'm sober
I'm young and I'm underpaid
I'm tired but I'm working, yeah

I care but I'm restless
I'm here but I'm really gone
I'm wrong and I'm sorry, baby

What it all comes down to
Is that everything's gonna be quite alright
'cause I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is flicking a cigarette

And what it all comes down to
Is that I haven't got it all figured out just yet
'cause I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is giving the peace sign

I'm free but I'm focused
I'm green but I'm wise
I'm hard but I'm friendly, baby

I'm sad but I'm laughing
I'm brave but I'm chickensh*t
I'm sick but I'm pretty, baby

And what it all boils down to
Is that no one's really got it figured out just yet
'cause I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is playing the piano

And what it all comes down to my friends
Is that everything's just fine fine fine
'cause I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is hailing a taxi cab

No comments: